Monday, April 30

Does Your Life Show Jesus?


Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. ~Ephesians 5: 1-2~

As Christians we have an awesome responsibility to demonstrate Jesus to everyone we meet. Even when our home is in an uproar and we are experiencing a very stressful and challenging day, we are still responsible to show Jesus to everyone we come in contact with throughout our day. This can be a very tall order.

Bobby and I have been pastoring for a long time. Yes, there have been some experiences that didn't encourage me to show Jesus to those I was dealing with at the time! But God clearly instructs us in His Word to be imitators of God. Even when people hurt us, criticize us, attempt to destroy us, tear down our ministry, and do things to hurt are families, God expects us to be imitators of Him.

Very early in our ministry I can tell you that I did not always fulfill this command. If I were honest, I would have to admit that probably most of the time in our very early years of ministry, my flesh got in the way of how Jesus expected me to react to challenging situations in the church. Pastors and their families deal with so much hurt, frustration and disappointment, and sometimes it is difficult to just "get over it" and go on. God has helped me so much over the years to not become bitter and angry but a better woman of God. I am so thankful for a God who understands our hearts and listens to our cries in the middle of the night when we feel so lonely and frustrated.

Yes, I still become extremely frustrated with people in church who constantly whine, complain and attempt to destroy the church. But over the years I have learned that I need to pray for these men and women who obviously don't really know the Jesus I serve. Do they realize that they are destroying their own character and integrity? And the scariest part about these folks is this........ They don't get it that gossip and tearing down God's work is pushing them further and further away from God. They are allowing the enemy to blind them. Friends, the Jesus I know would never act like that!

We may be the only Jesus some people ever see. I want everyone I meet to see the character of Jesus Christ in everything I do. Through my actions and my words I pray that all people will see Jesus in my life. We are just like plastic storage containers that are being filled each and every day to overflowing with the Spirit of God. We have the opportunity every day to demonstrate God's character everywhere we go and become a blessing to others.

Blessings and hugs to you today as you show Jesus in your life!