Thursday, September 9

How Do You See Your Work Today?

I read a story recently about a man in the Middle Ages who was sent to a building site in France to observe the workers and how they felt about their labor.  He approached the first worker and asked, "What are you doing?"

The worker snapped at him, "Are you blind? I'm cutting these impossible boulders with primitive tools and putting them together the way the boss tells me.  I'm sweating under this hot sun.  My back is absolutely breaking.  I'm bored. I make next to nothing!"

The man quickly backed away and found a second worker, to whom he asked the same question, "What are you doing?"

The second worker replied, "I'm shaping these boulders into useable forms.  Then they are put together according to the architect's plans.  I earn five francs a week and that supports my wife and family.  It's a job. Could be worse."

A little encouraged but not overwhelmed by this response, the man went to yet a third worker.  "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Why can't you see?" the worker said as he lifted his arm to the sky.  "I'm building a cathedral!"

Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.
Psalm 117: 1,2 NIV

How do you see your work today?  Do you look at it with drudgery with no purpose?  Do you see it as a job?  Or, do you see your work as part of God's incredible plan for your life?

This psalm gives two reasons for praising God: his great love toward us, and his faithfulness that endures forever.  If he did nothing else for us, he would still be worthy of our highest praise.

The more positive we are about our work, the greater satisfaction we have at the end of the day.  People who see value in their jobs enjoy a greater sense of purpose.

Any job can be performed with dignity, style, and purpose.  How do you choose to see it today?

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting this site. I pray that Chocolate and Coffee will be an encouragement to you today.

Blessings and hugs!